Monday, April 6, 2009


We are in London for the week and staying at a friend’s apartment. It is quite luxurious not to be in a cheap hotel, as is our usual custom. There is only one problem a five by five foot mirror in the bathroom. In order to get to the shower, one must pass by this gigantic mirror. I was shocked the first night to turn around and see myself stark naked. It is not a flattering mirror, some are, but this one is definitely not. So after I recoiled, I decided to really look. There are rolls of flesh, but I can see the beginnings of a shape taking place. If I had had this mirror, scales and non-elastic pants near me everyday, I doubt whether I would have let myself get this way. They may be the best diet tools that exist!

By the way, Nev stepped on the scales only to learn that the weight was in stones. When he tried to calculate stones to pounds, he said his weight was 328 pounds. Something wrong there………

I heard the word “corpulent” the other day. I think I would not like to be called “corpulent.” A friend once said she saw on her medical record, “morbidly obese” and it was devastating. I think being overweight makes me hide. I hide in jackets and big sweaters. I hide by not looking in the mirror. I hide by not weighing myself. I wonder if that spills over to other parts of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment